Children and Teenagers
Susan has a special interest in working with children and teenagers. She has significant experience as a primary and high school psychologist, working with students with learning difficulties, gifted and talented students, social-emotional challenges and mental-health issues. Susan is experienced in working with teenagers with self-harm and suicidal ideation, and helps young people to regulate their emotional responses with empathy and warmth. Susan is very passionate about building resilience and well-being with children and teenagers for the future.
Susan is also experienced with psycho-educational assessments to address learning needs, identify learning styles, and work through strengths and challenges.
In the organisational context, Susan has facilitated workshops and training programs for topics such as assertive communication, time management, emotional intelligence and conflict management. She is skilled in conducting Fitness for Work Assessments and developing Risk Management Plans for drug/alcohol and emotional issues. Susan has experience co-ordinating Critical Incident Response, debriefing to individuals and groups who experienced extreme stress or trauma. Susan brings her understanding of people management strategies, conflict resolution and mediation, and goal-directed coaching to enhance work place relationships and improve quality of work.
Susan’s practice integrates a range of evidence-based therapy models including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution-Focused Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Person-Centered Therapy, and the Circle of Security Attachment based intervention. All counselling is tailored to the personal needs and goals of the individual.
- Educational and Psychological assessments to assist with diagnosis of attentional disorders, behavioural issues and learning difficulties. These include the WISC-V, the WAIT-III, and various reading assessments.
- Specialist reports and assessments to assist with the special exam arrangement applications to (School Curriculum and Standards Authority) SCSA for ATAR students.
- Experience working with mood disorders including mild, moderate to severe depression.
- Integrating psycho-education, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), behavioural experiments, keeping of mood diaries to identify unhelpful thought patterns and behaviours.
- Uses solution-focused strategies, creative problem-solving, mindfulness and relaxation strategies.
- Experienced in the assessment and treatment of anxiety disorders
- Provide a methodical approach of assessment, case formulation, treatment plan including CBT, gradual exposure and systematic desensitisation, image rehearsal and rescripting strategies, mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
- Implementation of the strategies in collaboration with the client.
- Experience with counselling couples to address communication difficulties, improve understanding and re-establish trust and intimacy.
- $220 per full-fee session (non-peak)*
- $230 per full-fee session (after 4 pm and Saturdays)*
- $180 per standard concession session*
- $240 family session (peak and non-peak)*
- $310 per 75-minute session bill*
*Medicare/Private Health rebates may apply
Susan is passionate about working with clients with these issues!
|Children and teenagers
||Self-harm and Suicidal Ideation
|Study and exam skills
||Family challenges and Separation
|Bullying and friendship issues
|Grief and loss
|Anxiety and Depression
||Critical Incident Response
What to expect
Some of Susan’s clients have a shorter journey (10 sessions) while many see her for around 20 or more sessions (anxiety/depression) and others see him for longer for the formal work and ongoing for maintenance. For families, trauma or play therapy we will most definitely have over 16 sessions for the year and some of the mentioned issues may require more (you can discuss this with Susan in session).
Susan is a registered Psychologist with the following training highlights:
- Masters of Applied Psychology (2005)
- Diploma of Education (2001)
- Postgraduate Diploma (Rebabilitation)
- Circle of Security Facilitator Training (2018)
- Registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Registered with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia