Applecross Community Psychologists
Don’t panic, how to identify and control panic attacks
An overwhelming feeling of anxiety and fear, a pounding heart, difficulty breathing, thoughts of dying or ‘what is wrong with me’. Am I going crazy?
A panic attack can be very frightening. If not treated they can worsen, causing you to withdraw from social activities.
Physical symptoms of a panic attack can include shortness of breath or smothering feelings, dizziness, feeling faint or unsteady, racing or pounding heart, trembling or shaking, sweating, choking sensations, nausea or abdominal distress, feelings of being detached or of things seeming unreal, numbness or tingling sensations, hot flashes or cold chills, chest pain or discomfort.
A panic attack is unlikely to kill you. It just feels very bad. One of the keys to overcoming a panic attack is to identify that it is occurring and using cognitive therapy and relaxation tools reduce the fear of the attack.
Therapy can help you not only tolerate the panic but control it.
How therapy can help overcome panic attacks:
How can therapy help you:
- You can gain an understanding of the psychological and physiological causes of their panic attacks.
- You can learn to manage the discomfort of Panic Attacks and reduce symptoms using mindfulness training, breathing techniques, cognitive coping skills.
- You can regain freedom in your life through behavioural techniques such as gradual exposure to places and situations associated with panic symptoms.
- It can identify if there are any underlying issues such as trauma, depression or anxiety.
- It can help you overcome limiting past beliefs or experiences that contribute to your panic and cope with the stressors of every day life.
PANIC ATTACK COUNSELLING PERTH
In Applecross we service South Perth, Canning Vale, Victoria Park, Booragoon, Myaree, Como, Brentwood, and more.
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT PHONE: 08 6007 3211
- Phones answered Monday to Friday, 7 am to 5 pm
- After-hours appointments available weeknights to 7 pm, Saturdays 9am to 1.00pm
- Medicare rebates can be processed at your session
Where are you located?
A resolution Applecross can service and treat clients throughout Perth looking to manage depression. We are conveniently located just off the Kwinana Fwy. Nearby suburbs include South Perth, Manning, Booragoon, Victoria Park, Mount Pleasant, Rossmoyne, Brentwood, Willeton and more.
To Learn More Call Today On 08 6555 7786
Our couch, Your private space
Our private and warmly appointed rooms in Applecross provide the perfect space for you to begin your journey of self-development and start taking control of leading a more fulfilling life. We are located near Applecross Village with a private rear entry, upstairs at the back of the building.
Make and manage your appointments online, our diary portal makes it easy.